Sunday, March 9, 2014

2014/02/16 "He's got that sissy stringy thingy. We've been through this, it's a harp. Ok, that's a harp, and that's a dress."

Hey wonderful family of mine!!!
So, its been quite the awesome crazy week! Like, the most crazy awesome week ever!!! Haha, well, its basically a lot like I was expecting... except that I could never in my wildest dreams have expected how beautiful the scenery here would be, or how delicious the food would be, or how nice the people would be! Man! I feel like I am in a movie!!!! So first, my trainer, Elder Packard from Texas. He has been here for since July. He is super awesome!! He speaks really well, and I am learning a lot from him! There is just so much that has happened this week!!
Ok, first of all, the bucket showers.. that was an interesting first experience... I like my showers, so I am still trying to get used to the cold water bucket shower, but Its a good thing!
Bathrooms are interesting... that's all I am gonna say....
I flew in on Wednesday and got to meet with the Mission President and his wife. We had some delicious food and got to meet our new Trainers. The mission president is super awesome!
Man, the people here just have such awesome faith! My first lesson was with a man named Joel... We taught him the Word of Wisdom. He said, "Well, if its the word of god, he would never say to do something that isn't good for us, so I'll do it." It didn't even phase him that he would have to give up coffee, drinking, and smoking, and he dropped it just like that! I was super impressed!
Haha, I gave a talk on Sunday.... hahaha, my Tagalog is still awful, which makes things super fun! They don't expect my Tagalog to be good, so I just talk and people try to understand... its kinda like a fun mix between charades, and just... matt sucks at Tagalog... Anyways, so my talk! I know I said a lot of things wrong because there were several times people laughed at very serious things! haha, the only thing I know for sure that I said wrong was, "my Tagalog is Wicked/evil!" hahaha, we got a kick out of that. I was trying to say that I didn't speak Tagalog well, but that wasn't really necessary! haha, durring my talk I said something about a scripture in Alma, about in my strength I am nothing, but through god, I can do all things that he requires of me... haha, the bishop stood up after me and was like, "haha, in his strength he is nothing (said with lots of sarcasm), he's like a UFC fighter!!" hahaha, hes a funny man.
Its amazing to me though, how even in my very very very very very very very very broken Tagalog, I am still able to help the people and be a good missionary. Its crazy to me! I speak just a handful of words, so I know that its not so much WHAT I am saying, as it is that the spirit is talking to them. And that is the coolest thing ever!!!
My area here is really awesome! And its the ward that makes it so awesome! the Bishop is a stud! The ward is super missionary focused and help us so much! The Bishop helps us out so much! Even the Mission President was telling me that he is probably the best bishop in the mission!
So my comp is from the US too, and he struggles with just talking to people randomly, even though his Tagalog is really good. So we made a goal that we were basically gonna just talk to everyone! There is this one guy that we teach, Andrew, who has a problem with alcohol... that is why he first let us start teaching him. But we couldn't find him... So we went down the street and asked a lady if she had seen him (he never leaves his neighborhood)... she said no, but she let us teach her because she has seen how much we care about Andrew and how diligent we are with him. She has seen how much we really care about him as a person and try to help him. And she wanted that too. Then we talked to his next door neighbors... kinda the same thing. They saw how diligent we are with Andrew so they told us to come in. It turns out that their mom used to be LDS but we didn't make that connection until we pulled out a Book of Mormon. And then they both wanted one! (They are brother and sister... the brother was just visiting and will be leaving soon). They were super excited about the gospel and came to church with us the next day! Then we talked to Andrews mom who never listens to us. But she sees how much we care about her son and she wants to start preparing for baptism! It was amazing! Andrew isn't making much progress, but because we are so diligent with him, every one around him is starting to accept the gospel! That was probably the coolest thing this week. And it also showed that when we randomly decided to talk open our mouths and talk to all the neighbors, we never would have been able to help them too!
The people here are all just so nice! and the food is amazing!!! Oh man its good!! Always rice, but I like rice, so that's a good thing!
One of the 15 year olds here just got baptized, and now he wants to start prepping for a mission so he is gonna start coming with us to teach today!!! He is super dope!
haha, All of the kids here like to yell at us, "hey, hey dude!" or, "Hey Joe!" haha, we get that about a million times every day. And then when I wave at them they all laugh and chase after us. The kids here are super great!
We live with the ZL's, they are both super awesome, both of them are from the Philippines. And they are super dope! Its hard to talk to them, but its good practice!
I just love the people here! And the Food! And the Scenery! I just cant get over it! Every time we take a jeepney, its just like, wow!!!!
Oh, and I got to try coconut this week! One of the less actives went and got one from a tree in his yard and chopped it open with a machete on the spot! I got to drink straight from it and then eat some of the coconut which was actually really tasty... Disney lied to me though.... its nothing like they make it look like, with the white milky goodness and all... it was tasty though!
I took a ton of good pictures but I totally forgot to bring my cord!!!! So I cant send them to you :( Sorry! I'll do better next week! Sorry that this letter is so all over the place. I just LOVE IT HERE!!!!! This is seriously the best place I've ever been, I don't know if I've stressed that much... I LOOOOOVE IT!!!!!! Every thing about it here! Its a little bit of adjusting, the language is a beast, but I am learning so fast!

I've got so much to work on, but I just love it here and it is all coming super fast to me! I am already starting to understand what people are saying a lot more! Talking hasn't improved quite as much, but I'm understanding probably about half of what is going on! Its super awesome! People are always way surprised when I say that I've only been speaking 6 weeks. The gift of tongues is so real! I wonder how my comps from the MTC are doing.... They were both speaking better than me when we left... they must be doing crazy awesome... anyways, I love you all! And I hope you are all just having marvelous wonderful times! Peace Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment